Why is your staff working at your taproom?Mar 07, 2022
As taproom managers, it's easy to get caught in the moment, get stuck putting out fires, and not take the time to build the relationships that arguably matter most - those with your staff. We often spend our time thinking about how to provide the best experience for our guests, but what about your taproom staff?
Today, we're going to think about the questions, "Why has your staff chosen to work for you?"
By understanding their reason for working in your taproom, you are better able to craft a positive experience based upon their needs.
I recommend the following methods to understand:
- Grab a beer. Ask them one-on-one.
- Hold a team meeting. If you're team is comfortable with it, hold a casual get together and go around in a circle discussing why they chose to work at your brewery.
- Anonymously. Send out an anonymous survey link with questions about their goals and experience working with you (email [email protected] and we're happy to do this for you).
Do not assume you know why your team has chosen to be employed by your brewery.
The responses you receive may surprise you and I suspect they'll range across a large spectrum that may include:
- I just need a job/money.
- I really like craft beer.
- My friends work here.
- I would love a career based on my education in this industry.
- I someday want to own my own brewery.
Once you know the "why," then you can focus on the "how" to give them the best experience.
All The Tools You Need To Build A Successful Taproom Business
Our Taproom Success Membership gives you the tools, resources, and support you need to manage and grow your taproom business. From fundamentals, to best practices, backed by data, and actionable strategies, the Taproom Success Membership fills the void of taproom educational opportunities.